These are students at the New Home School taken in the early 1930s. The New Home School was the African-American school in the Tehuacana Valley School District, which was located in northern Limestone County. The two-room building in the photo was built in 1928 using funds from the Rosenwald Foundation.
The Limestone County Historical Commission believes this is a photo of the Limestone County Commissioners’ Court taken sometime between 1905 and 1908. The gentleman on the far left is Limestone County Judge James Kimbell, who served in that position from 1903 to 1908. The third gentleman from the left is Alvarado Steele, Precinct Four Commissioner from 1905 to 1908. Precinct One Commissioner Charles Roberts and Precinct Three Commissioner Rufus Usry were both in office from 1905 to 1908 and should be pictured. Two gentlemen served as Precinct Two Commissioner during this time period: S. M. Wilson from 1905 to 1906 and F. M. Coker from 1907 to 1918. One of these men should also be in the photo. We believe the fourth gentleman from the left could be the county clerk since he is pictured with an open record book. County clerks during this time were Alf Mills (1903-1906) and W. C. Frazier (1907-1910). If you can identify any of these gentlemen, please send an email to email@example.com.
Limestone Co. Courthouse
March 5, 2024
Click on the link below to go to the Cindy Walker Foundation's gofundme account to make a donation to help save the Mexia home of the legendary songwrtiter Cindy Walker.