John A. Henson was born in Montgomery County, Texas on July 7, 1837. His parents were Joseph and Mary Thomas Henson. His first wife, Nancy J. Stevenson, was the daughter of James Y. and Elizabeth A. Stevenson. John and Nancy had four children: Mary Elizabeth (1863-?), James J. (1870-1871), Robert M. (1866-?) and John Henry (1859-1948). The family was living in the Pottersville community (Oletha) in Limestone County as early as 1859. Limestone County deed records indicates that John Henson purchased 160 acres from Joseph Ferguson on February 21, 1859. John acquired at least 397 additional acres of land prior to his death in 1878. Nancy J. Henson died on December 10, 1870.
Being a widower with four young children, John Henson soon married his second wife, Mary Louise Phillips. They were married in Thornton, Limestone County, Texas on February 20, 1871. Mary Louise was the daughter of John James Phillips and Sarah Ann Abernathy. To this union were born four children: Lazarus (1872-circa 1880), Andrew Moses (1875-1948), Sarah Jane “Sallie” (1877-1965), and Lillian (1878-1878). John Henson died in Limestone County on August 19, 1878. He is buried in the Ferguson Cemetery.