The Delia Cemetery is located on Limestone County Road 150 between Prairie Hill and Coolidge in northwestern Limestone County. Delia was once a thriving rural community and had a school along with several stores.
The Delia Cemetery was the burial place for that community for many years. The first burial (earliest marked grave) was in February of 1900 when Katie Roberts, age 3, was buried there. E. R. Herring set aside a parcel of land on his farm in 1899 as a burial place for the community of Delia, Texas.
Some of the early grave markers show that the following were buried in the Delia Cemetery: Katie Roberts, February 14. 1900; Amos, son of T. J. Tackitt, 1900; wife of E. R. Herring, 1901; Mable Thompson, 1901; Ruby A. Thompson, 1901; J. G. Estes, September, 1903; W. E. Estes, June 1903; E. R. Herring, 1906; Leonora Chandler, 1907; infant son of W. L. and E. Bunch, 1906; infant son of R. L. and A. M. Jackson, 1906. As of December 2000, there were 147 graves in the cemetery.
In 1949, the Delia Cemetery Association was formed for the purpose of maintaining the cemetery. Dr. Marion Brown also deeded the property on which the Cemetery is located to the Delia Cemetery Association. Dr. Brown had purchased the land which included the cemetery from the estate of E. R. Herring.
The Delia Cemetery was closely related to the Delia Community. "Delia was named in honor of Delia C. Copeland (Mrs. W. P. Alexander). Located four miles northeast of Prairie Hill, the area was settled in the 1890's, and became a post office in 1895. James D. Thompson was the first postmaster. A school district was created in 1900, and in 1947 a school, two churches, three businesses, and a population of 100 made up the village. Eight years later, there were no businesses, only one church, and an estimated population of 40 in the community." (Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County)
The Delia Cemetery served for many years a once thriving community. Today, one or two burials are held at the cemetery each year. The graves in the cemetery include veterans of World War I and World War II as well as other prominent community and county leaders.