Obediah Cox was born in Arkansas on December 17, 1841. Sometime before 1860, he moved with his parents, Thomas and Martha Cox, and his siblings to the Pottersville Community in Limestone County.
On October 28, 1861, Obediah enlisted as a private in Capt. A. F. Moss’ Company, Co. K, 12th Regiment Texas Dragoons at Hempstead, Texas for a period of three years. He was furloughed to Texas on November 25, 1864.
In 1864, Obediah married Ageline Glover, and they settled in what is now known as the Old Union community. Angeline died on February 12, 1870 leaving Obediah with small children to raise. Later that same year, he married Angeline’s sister, Eliza Glover. In the mid-1870s, Obediah purchased several tracts of property, including the one on which his first wife, Angeline, is buried.
As the community grew, the cemetery was used by other families to inter their deceased loved ones. Obediah died on June 9, 1914. In 1919, Eliza bought back land from the Cox children “less 1 ½ acres for cemetery.” In 1920, Eliza sold land to her son, W. L. Cox, “less two acres owned by cemetery.” Eliza died in 1926. Obediah Cox is buried between his two wives, Angeline and Eliza.
The oldest marked grave in the Cox Cemetery is that of Angeline Cox. There are many graves that are marked with only a rock or stone with no information on them. It is believed that several graves date before that of Angeline Cox. It is believed that Angeline and Eliza’s parents, William and Nancy Glover, and some of their siblings are buried in the cemetery. Nancy Glover died in January, 1870, one month before Angeline’s death.
As more families settled in the community, they made use of the Cox Cemetery. Of approximately 154 marked graves in the cemetery, sixteen date from before 1900. Many graves in the cemetery belong to veterans of various wars, including those of three Confederate soldiers: Obediah Cox, William H. Brown, and Houston Henderson. There are several tombstones with Masonic or Eastern Star emblems. For many years, the cemetery had no fencing, but in the 1950s, a chain link fence was erected to protect the graves and monuments.
Through the years, the Cox Cemetery has been cared for by those in the community. An old tradition called “Memorial” began in the 1880s, which is still held each year on the last Saturday in June on the Old Union Church and Cemetery Grounds. This is a time when descendants of the settlers of this Limestone County community gather to honor their deceased relatives, to enjoy fellowship, and to make donations for the upkeep of the cemetery. In earlier days, time was also spent cleaning the cemetery. “Memorial” usually starts with a worship service in the church building, which was originally built in the summer of 1913 as a school for the Union Common School District. After the worship service, a “dinner on the grounds” is held. Each family brings food, which is shared with everyone in attendance.
In 1991, the Union-Cox Cemetery Association was incorporated to administer and maintain the Cox Cemetery, the Old Union Cemetery, and the Church building. During “Memorial,” a business meeting of the association is held.
Burials are still conducted in the Cox Cemetery.